In recent years the pomegranate has been advertised as a superfood, but it was known for medicinal and beauty benefits in ancient times. It is a symbol of prosperity and abundance in many cultures.
The pomegranate is high in vitamins and antioxidants. It has three times as many antioxidants as red wine and green tea, containing three types of polyphenols—tannins, anthocyanins, and ellagic acid.
With its incredible antioxidant, anti-microbial, anti-inflammatory, and anti-aging properties and ability to encourage radiant skin, the pomegranate was incorporated into skin care; especially anti-aging products and sun care products. It can help with several skincare issues that women of color can face, including dry skin, age spots, hyperpigmentation, acne flare-ups, and acne scars.
1. Cell Regeneration. Pomegranates help protect the epidermis (the outer layer of the skin), helps with skin cell regeneration in the epidermis and dermis (inner layer), increase circulation and healing the skin, aiding in tissue repair and wound healing.
2. Sun Protection. Pomegranates have sun defending compounds that protect the skin against free radical damage, help prevent skin cancer, relieve sunburn, and reduce the signs of sun damage. Pomegranate seed oil works to protect against skin cancer because of ellagic acid, a polyphenol antioxidant found in large quantities in pomegranates, which researchers have found inhibits the growth of skin tumors.
3. Anti-Aging. Pomegranates protect against premature aging by helping reduce the signs of skin aging caused by sun damage and exposure, such as wrinkles and fine lines. Pomegranates also help prevent hyperpigmentation and age spots.
4. Youthful Skin. Pomegranates promote smooth, firm skin by boosting collagen and elastin production and soften skin.
5. Dry Skin. It is an excellent ingredient for skin care because its small molecular structure allows it to penetrates deeply into the skin. It works for most skin types, (which depends on the skincare ingredients pomegranate is combined with).
Since pomegranate oil penetrates deeply into the skin, it is effective for treating dry skin. It soothes dry, cracked, and irritated skin. It contains punicic acid, an omega five fatty acid that hydrates and prevents moisture loss.
6. Oily Skin/Combination Skin. Pomegranate oil even works for oily skin, and the use of pomegranate have been beneficial in skincare products for acne-prone skin, to combat breakouts, reduce scarring and soothe minor irritations.
To find organic pomegranate-infused biodegradable wipes and beauty products like toner and micellar water, visit our storefront on Amazon.